I enjoyed this project. Working with the photographers was a good experience as this team work is used in the industry. I feel like this project is a bit of a ‘marmite’ magazine. Whilst some would see it as experimental others would see it as a poor piece of design. I used an 11 column grid, this makes it look like I have placed text and image randomly. It seems to disobey some rules of graphic editorial design. This could either be seen as an experimental magazine or a poorly designed magazine. I know that you need to understand the rules before you break them, and I haven’t been doing graphics for very long. However since this isn’t a ‘conventional’ magazine, I believe it is important to push the boundaries to learn what can be successful and what is not.
I have learnt many things about the importance of reprinting and checking everything is correct before sending the news paper to print. I did not know about changing RGB images to CMYK or the importance of size and resolution of images. I also learnt about type setting, widows, hierarchy, and spacing between lines. All of these factors help create an article that is easier to read.
In this project i learnt about ‘preflight’ mode in indesign, this helped me spot any images that where the wrong resolution or not converted to CMYK. I also learnt how the paper stock can effect the images used. I had to brighten the images as news paper would have blended the dark areas into black.